Positive Attitude
# What is positive Attitude?
Ans. There is an informal consensus that, “Attitude can be your best friend or your worst enemy.” Attitude is the one factor that is universally acknowledged to be capable of overcoming every possible disadvantage. Attitude is also the one factor the can destroy the benefits of every possible advantage.
Attitude is a hypothetical postulate, which implies a broad-based behaviour tendency in individuals. Attitudes have to be analyzed in the light of real life situation to which they are related. Attitude cannot be directly observed, but only through inference it is possible to understand.
Attitude is associated with physical neural state, verbal opinion, ideologies, and integrated philosophy of life. Attitude is the detailed direction of human behaviour. Attitude is a stage of sensitiveness and process to act.
Attitudes are evaluative statements; they refer one’s feeling either favourably or unfavourably towards person, objects or events. Attitudes are nothing but how one feels about somebody or something.
# The benefits of positive attitude.
Ans. There are many advantages to having a positive attitude. The advantages are easy to see. But what is easy to see is also easy to miss!
A positive attitude:
Benefits for you:
Makes for a pleasing personality
Is energizing
Increases your enjoyment of life
Inspires others around you
Helps you become a contributing member of society and an asset to your country.
And for the organization:
Increases productivity
Fosters teamwork
Solves problems
Improves quality
· Makes for a congenial atmosphere
Reeds loyalty
Increases profits
Fosters better relationships with employers, employees and customers
Reduces stress
# The important features of positive attitude.
Ans. The important features of attitude are as follows :
1. Multiplexity. Attitudes are constituted by a number of elements. That is, there are many ingredients in the formation of attitudes. For example, family, society, environment etc.
2. Relations to needs. Attitudes vary in relation to the needs they serve, e.g., attitudes of a person towards sports and games may serve only entertainment needs of favourableness or unfavourableness towards something or somebody.
3. valence. Valence refers to the magnitude; could be low or high. Low valence means a person has an indifferent attitude towards something or somebody. High valence refers to a person having extremely favourable or unfavourable attitude towards something or somebody.
4. Related to feelings and beliefs. Attitudes are related to one’s feeling and beliefs towards something or somebody.
5. Attitudes affect behaviour. Attitudes affect behaviour either positively or negatively because attitudes affect one’s perceptions.
6. Attitudes undergo changes. Generally speaking, attitudes remain in a person for a longer duration. But the same can undergo changes if persons are exposed to different situation they like.
# Steps to develop positive attitude.
Ans. Here are some ways to help you develop a more positive attitude:
· Listen to internal dialogue. Divide one or more sheets of paper into two columns and, for a few days, jot down in the left column all the negative thoughts that come into your head. Rewrite each thought in a positive way in the second column. Practice doing this in your mind until it becomes a habit.
· Leans to communicate. Not saying the things we feel can lead to a sense of frustration, hurt, anger or anxiety. If you find communicating difficult, or are afraid of arguments, take a course in communicating effectively.
· Get back to basics. Reconnect with old friends, take the dog for a walk, visit an art gallery or listen to your favorite music. Enjoy a long, relaxing bath, read a book, tell your child a story, or ask an older relative to tell you one! It is the simplest thing in life that gives us the most pleasure…
· Help someone out. The simple act of helping others helps us to feel good. Pick up groceries for an aging neighbour, volunteer at your local hospital or read a book to someone with failing eyesight.
· Find your spirituality. Research has shown that those who have developed their spirituality through associating with other spiritual individuals or having their own personal and unique beliefs live longer, more satisfying lives. The secret is practicing those beliefs, either through organized spiritual associations, or simple meditation on a quiet place.
· Allow yourself to be loved. The ability to love and be loved is the most basic human become quality. The society has become disconnected from this most basic need. Finding ways to reconnect with others is extremely helpful in developing a positive attitude.
· Allow yourself to laugh and find humour in the simplest of things. Laughter is a powerful mood elevator. If you are feeling down, read some jokes, watch a funny movie or just act “silly” once in a while. At times, it is a good thing to let yourself see the world through a child’s eyes.
· Participate in new physical and mental activities. To improve confidence levels and coping mechanisms. It could be an easy as learning the meanings of new words or learning about new topics to build confidence.
· Follow the principles of holistic health. Better nutrition and exercise help improve mood and attitude.
# Obstacles in developing positive attitude.
Ans. The common obstacles to developing a positive attitude are the types of negative thinking that distort your evaluation of situations.
Exaggerating
Overestimating problems and underestimating abilities.
Example: I’m always late for meetings.
Replace with: I make it to most meetings on time.
Over generalizing
Taking an isolated event and assuming it always happens.
Example: I’m stupid.
Replace with: This time I made a wrong turn, but I usually do get where I’m going easily.
Personalizing
Thinking everything revolves around you.
Example: Everyone noticed that I wore the same dress twice.
Replace with: I like this outfit, and I am properly dressed for the occasion.
Thinking
Seeing things as mutually exclusive, even when they’re not.
Example: Either I get the promotion or I’m a failure.
Replace with: My performance has been exceptional, and I have a good chance of getting promoted. If I don’t get it this time, there will be other opportunities.
Jumping to Conclusions
Drawing conclusions from limited information.
Example: I wasn’t assigned the project manager called.
Replace with: I’ll ask my manager if there’s a way I can help out with the assignment.
Ignoring the positive
Focusing on one negative and forgetting about all the positives.
Example: I did not make my sales quota last month.
` Replace with: I hit my sales goals for 11 of 12 months, and I will hit it again.
Setting yourself up for success
Nothing enhances a positive attitude more than success, so regard success as the normal state of affairs- and the lack of success as an exception.
Avoid perfectionism
Very few things are perfect in this world, so try to recognize that falling short of perfection is not failure.
Helpful approach
Remember that there is no such thing as failure – only out comes. If your efforts produce an outcome that is less successful that you had hoped, don’t say, I’m a failure. Instead, I’ll change what I did wrong and next time I’II do better do better.
Focus on the future
You can’t change the past, but if you decide where you want to go in the future, you will give yourself the best chance of getting there. Always aim high, and you too will make it a winning life.
No comments:
Post a Comment