BUILDING UP MOTIVATION

ASSESSING YOUR ATTITUDE

It is important that you understand your attitude towards your subordinates. Your thinking will be influenced by your experience, and will shape the way in which you behave towards all the people you meet.

KNOWING YOUR STYLE
The forces that drive managers will strongly influences motivational behaviour. It is important, therefore, to understand your own assumptions and priorities, paying particular attention to your personal and corporate ambitions, so you can motivate others effectively. If you put your job first, you probably highly motivated and know your career will benefit from success. However, success is not just about meeting task objectives, but also about building an efficient, creative team that will succeed even in your absence. For this, a "share-and-collaborate" style may be more effective than an authoritarian "command-and-control" method.



EVALUATING YOUR TENDENCIES
Theorist Douglas McGregor defined two sets of management styles, which he labelled Theory X and Theory Y. Theory-X managers believe their staff respond mainly to the rewarding carrot and the disciplinary stick. Theory-Y managers, however, believe their staff find work a source of satisfaction and will strive to do their best at all times. Most people are not entirely X or Y, but fall somewhere in between. The X and Y theories apply not only to individuals but to organizations as well; indeed, Theory-X managers and habits will often be found in Theory-Y organizations, and vice-verse. Study the statements below to judge which of the theories best describes you and your organization.


THEORY X
  • If I did not drive my people constantly, they would not get on with their work.
  • I sometimes have to fire somebody or tongue-lash them to encourage others.
  • Leaders have to lead by taking all key decisions themselves.
  • I find that most people are unambitious and must be forced to raise their sights.
  • I keep my distance from the team since it is necessary for effective command.

THEORY Y
  • If somebody falls down on the job, I first ask myself what I did wrong.
  • I should sometimes take a back seat at meetings and let others take the lead.
  • If i ask someone for their opinion on an issue, I try to do as they suggest.
  • People should appraise their bosses as well s be appraised by them.
  • Anyone can have creative, innovative ideas if they are encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment